Search Lil' Blogger

Thursday 28 April 2016

BAPP Task 4d: Literature Review Part 2

Following further research into my topic area; legal advice/aid for dancers; I have come across some interesting case law which touches on topics such as personal injury; conspiracy complaints; compensation benefits; tax; legal malpractice and negligence.

I used Google Scholar as a research tool to source the following cases:

Original Ballet Russe, Limited v. Ballet Theatre, Inc., et al. (1943) 


Dina LaFond v. Star Time Dance & Performing Arts Centre, et al. (2001) 

Evelyn G. Thayer v. Oregon Federation of Square Dance Clubs (1971)

Matter of Brown v. American Ballet Theatre (2004)

Ewing v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue (1954)

Job v. Cleveland Daance Center (1989)

Makarova v. US (2000)

McDow v. Dixon (1976)


I can use some examples from the cases above in my professional inquiry. All are good reference points to have and it is interesting for me to see how these cases are worded; what points of law are raised and what judicial precedent takes effect; and what different rulings occur. 

I also found the following page on the HM Revenue and Customs website:


It references the case Fall v. Hitchen (1973); a case involving a ballet dancer and contractual issues.  

I will continue to search for further literature although admittedly it is something of great challenge. Particularly with regard to the topic area that I have chosen which seems to have little literature in existence. However I feel that, if anything, this is another motive for me to want to pursue this topic to gain more knowledge and recognition for something that I feel carries a lot of importance for dancer's in the UK and across the globe. 

Lil' Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment