Search Lil' Blogger

Tuesday 12 April 2016

Pilot Survey - The Results

I have chosen to analyse the first 10 responses to my survey entitled Legal Aid and Dance: What do you think?with the subheading Legal Assistance for Dancers.   

I have done this with the intention of getting an idea of the sort of responses that I am receiving, and what value they have to my research. There is actually a very clear pattern in the data so far with most participants answering the questions with very similar if not the same responses, showing a very strong trend. 

Below, I have written out the questions that I have proposed for my survey. These are a work-in-progress and I am open to any ideas that you may have about how I can improve my survey to achieve better results. The answers given (in red) are what the general consensus seems to be amongst the 10 participants that I have analysed, and are a general reflection of the data that I have looked at so far.



Legal Aid and Dance: What do you think?

Legal Assistance for Dancers

This survey is to help me out with my Professional Inquiry as part of my BA Honours in Professional Practice (Arts), Middlesex University. It surrounds my two areas of interest; law and dance; and asks you to think about what current legal assistance is out there for dancers and what can be done to improve these services. Dancer's may struggle to find help when they most need it; in the face of injury (personal injury claims), contractual issues; insufficient income; unfair treatment etc. I want to find out what you think about a dancer's access to legal assistance and how willing, in the face of a personal issue, dancer's would be to use it. Please be aware that all participants will remain anonymous. Any feedback will be very much appreciated. Thank you.


Q1: Whilst training as a dancer, are you taught about legal assistance within the arts sector?  

A: NO 

Q2: Whilst training as a dancer, are you informed of the situations within which you may require legal assistance?

A: NO

Q3: Would you know where to go and who to ask for legal assistance if necessary?

A: YES (5 participants) NO (5 participants)

Q4: Would you be reluctant to pursue legal action due to; cost; fear of dealing with legal professionals; fear of damaging reputation or future progression as a dancer?

A: YES

Q5: In your current training or professional environment, do you have legal advice and/or aid available to you?

A: NO

Q6: Do you think that having access to legal advice and/or aid is important and/or beneficial to a dancer?

A: YES

Q7: Have you ever had to pursue legal action yourself within the arts sector?

A: NO

Q8: If yes, by which method did you go about this?

A: N/A

Q9: Do you know of any arts organisations that offer legal advice and/or aid to dancer's or performer's in general (please give names)?

A: YES (6 participants) NO (4 participants) 


From these results, the general consensus surrounding this topic is very clear amongst the 10 participants that I have focussed on so far. Now I will look to editing my survey, improving it and getting it ready for when I carry out my actual research next term. 

Lil' Blogger 

No comments:

Post a Comment