Search Lil' Blogger

Wednesday 4 November 2015

BAPP Task 2b: Journal Writing Experience

Following a Skype session on Tuesday evening, I have thought long and hard about how I want to approach writing my journal. I had some reassuring feedback from fellow BAPP students who expressed that they too, to begin with, found it a challenge to get going with journal writing without feeling that they were doing it all wrong.

Interestingly it was raised that; how can you be doing wrong if it is your thoughts that you are expressing? This is, in my opinion, a fascinating and very true statement. If it is your thoughts, feelings and opinions that are being written down, how can they be wrong? We should be able to have confidence in what we express and not fear judgement or the thought of getting it 'wrong'. So, as of this week, my journal is up and running and I am finding my feet with how I best like to write it. 

Looking into the different methods of journal writing:

Description
List
Initial Reflection
Evaluation
Plan of Action 
What if?
Another view
Graphs, diagrams and drawings
Stream of consciousness...

...I have found that using visual methods (graphs, diagrams, charts etc.) does not work so well for me. I find it difficult to connect with my thoughts in this way and much prefer to use:

List
Stream of consciousness
Description

These three forms of journal writing work for me as I am able to just write. Something I take enjoyment in and therefore feel more able to do quite freely and openly. I like to think methodically and logically so list writing really helped me to just jot down what I had done that day and then look at each thing and ask myself how I benefitted/learnt from it. 

Similarly with stream of consciousness and description, I could write about my day without putting too much thought into it (which for me causes a writing block) and just allow my thoughts, feelings and ideas to develop naturally.

On Wednesday I wrote:

"So now I am sitting on the tube and finding it rather pleasant to write in my journal and reflect on my day. It's amazing how such subtle, insignificant things that happen to you throughout the day can later have an impact. When you look back at something that happened you can take something from it and discovered little ideas which will develop and eventually blossom".

Also in this entry I noted down little thoughts that spurred me on to think of the bigger picture about what I can further pursue in my studies on the BAPP course. These ideas stemmed from my day working in Selfridges and what skills I feel I have built upon since working there. 

So all in all I'm finding it such a productive and useful tool to get stuck into my journal! Always remember to not be afraid of just expressing yourself through your journal in whatever way you feel comfortable, as more often than not something interesting will result.

Lil' Blogger 


No comments:

Post a Comment