Search Lil' Blogger

Friday 20 November 2015

BAPP Task 3a: Current Networks

A network can simply be defined as connections between entities. Computer networks, power grids, and social networks all function on the simple principle that people, groups, systems, nodes, entities can be connected to create an integrate whole. Alterations within the network have ripple effects on the whole.
(Siemens, 2004, p 9) 



Professional networking is a hugely important factor in anyone's professional life. It shapes how we communicate, interact and propel ourselves through the professional circles we find ourselves in. Who we will meet and the terms upon which we meet are all dependent upon what profession we have chosen to pursue. For me my circle of contacts, including mostly friends, are in the arts and more specifically the ballet profession. Having trained for so many years in that kind of environment, you surround yourself with those who teach and practice it thus building up a contact list of individuals immersed in the dance arena.

It is often said that it is "who you know, not what you know" that will get you far in life. To a certain extent, this statement can be believed to be true as it is advantageous to any individual in any profession to have contact with those higher up on the professional ladder. More advanced individuals may be able to put in a good word, encourage promotion and land you with a great deal of respect from others in the same profession. However I also like to advocate that hard work, determination and depth of knowledge in your chosen career can also get you far. There is nothing more satisfying than achieving something purely on your own merit, and situations such as this also occur in the professional world if an individual can make enough impact with their effort.

In terms of my own professional network, I feel that it is rather limited and I was at first unsure of how I would write in detail about what my professional network is and how I use it. From reading others' blogs ,I now have a better understanding of how I can best describe my network and how it is exercised in my everyday life...

I believe that my professional network is something that is, at the moment, largely rooted within the ballet arena. As I previously explained, my training has opened up doors to contacts within the ballet world of all different vocations. I have the opportunity to see some of these individuals when I teach at English National Ballet School on a Saturday. It is so fantastic to be able to remain in their contact sphere and keep them informed of what I am up to. I think that it is so important to keep in contact with individuals, past or present, and show them your support in whatever they are doing; be it a performance, an event, any important occasion.

Additional to this, I use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, You Tube, Pinterest and Flickr for both social media purposes and for professional networking to a certain degree. Using social media for professional networking is a highly practical and convenient tool as you can so easily follow those who you admire or are inspired by. I feel that it difficult however to distinguish between using social media for reasons of enjoyment, or for professional purposes. It is awfully easy to get distracted on Facebook or Instagram, as both lead you down irrelevant yet dangerously entertaining paths that you can get completely caught up in. Instead of perhaps exploring something of value to your professional life, you can end up watching humorous videos or flicking through a friends holiday photos. For me, Facebook and Instagram are the social media tools that I use daily and predominantly for enjoyment. Sites such as Twitter on the other hand are more suited to following people of greater professional stance and finding out about what they are up to.

I must also mention my email account and my blog. I always give my email out as a first point of contact and it is the tool from which I will contact my workplace, send important documents and have one-to-one conversations with those in my network. I love how my blog has created a new device through which I can contact individuals on the BAPP programme and beyond; and also get my thoughts, ideas and course development across through written word, images and videos.





Looking at more established companies and professionals, they will have far more tools in place to operate their professional network. These could include events, fundraisers, advertising and marketing, workshops, training days, social media accounts; anything that will connect other professionals in the industry. Thinking about what I have experienced in the past in relation to professional networks, English National Ballet School held numerous events throughout the year to raise their profile. One of the most innovative events was a live stream of the school including interviews with staff and students and various dance performances also by the students. This live stream could be viewed anywhere around the world and was also available online after the actual event. This was a very clever way of getting publicity for the school and attracting potential dancers and their families, from all over the world, to train at the school.

Realistically within my current weekly schedule, I feel I can manage sufficiently with what professional network I have and I am aware that adding anymore to it could be difficult. However once my career path becomes a bit clearer, I can focus my energies on building up my professional network and working it around those industry professionals who will be most beneficial for me to be in contact with. It is definitely something that I will keep working on and expanding in the days, months, years to come.

Lil' Blogger


Siemens, George (12/12/2004) A Learning Theory for the Digital Age, sourced from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm (accessed 16/11/2015) 

No comments:

Post a Comment