Search Lil' Blogger

Friday 11 March 2016

BAPP Task 4c: Developing my questions

Creating a SIG has been an immensely useful tool. Although only still in its early days, I have found the input from several BAPP students to be truly thought provoking. I read earlier today a comment posted by Laura Kennedy again bringing up the point that dancers "would need legal representation if their working conditions are bad or the way they're being treated unfairly by directors about injuries etc"(Kennedy, 2016, np). Points similar to these keep cropping up so I know that this is definitely an avenue for me to explore further.

Laura also commented on previously made points made regarding how dancers may feel compromised if they were to complain and pursue legal action. Interestingly she went on to say:

I'm sure that most companies have a neutral representative in the company that people can go to with their complaints, therefore people's complaints are anonymous." 
(Kennedy, 2016, np)

This point raised by Laura highlighted to me how wrong it is if dancers do feel as though they cannot speak out and seek the advice or action that they need. All professional performers should be aware of any individual(s) who they can go to and speak to in confidence regarding any issues they may have with their current employment or working environment, as well as if they have had a bad experience at say an audition, an independent dance studio or at a vocational school. Dancers need to be able to feel confident in those who, in conjunction with themselves, are responsible for their well-being. Again, all of these strands are being brought to light and are sparking lines for my inquiry.

How can I make my questions more specific?

Paula left a really helpful comment on my previous blog which urged me to look at what I want to find out and why. It became aware to me that I do need to place my questions in the context of what I want to research for my inquiry in order to make them more relevant and specific. I know that I am interested in researching legal aid/action within the dance profession and so I feel, from personal reflection and some fantastic help from my SIG members, that I can start by asking the questions:

What do dancers know about legal aid?
Is it something that they learn about, for example, when they are in training?
Would it be something that a dancer would be reluctant to pursue?
Are they afraid of the consequences?
Would they know where to look for legal aid?
In their current situation, do they have anything of the sort available to them?
Do they feel that having access to legal aid would be beneficial to them?

As a starting point, I am going to pose questions, as above, to a few friends of mine who are dancers. I am hoping that this will give me further insight into what those directly involved in the profession feel and what can be done to further explore whatever points are raised.    

I will keep you updated!    



Bibliography

Anon (2016) The Law On Your Side a DVD, Belfast Area, sourced from http://belfastdvp.co.uk/the-law-on-your-side-a-dvd/ accessed (11.03.16)

Kennedy, Laura (2016) BAPP Module 2- Advice Needed, extract from comment, sourced from https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112282308913631891593 accessed (11.03.16)


   

No comments:

Post a Comment