Search Lil' Blogger

Tuesday 15 March 2016

What am I trying to find out?

Exploratory Process...

During a Breeze session earlier today, Paula discussed how, through the BAPP programme, we very much go through an Exploratory Process when deciding upon, researching and finally presenting our professional inquiry. Our process is full of twists and turns; we constantly raise new questions and discover new avenues to explore; it is never an easy route but it is guaranteed to be an interesting one!

My exploratory process at this moment in time has brought me to a place where I am planting seeds for future growth when I reach Module 3. I am looking to establish the theme of my inquiry and put feelers out to other professionals who can aid me in my research. I now need to be looking into gathering as much existing literature, articles, documents, data etc., as I can as well as keeping up with current SIG discussions and constantly reviewing the questions that I am putting out there.    

Paula also commented on how many BAPP students will connect their professional inquiry with something that they wish to pursue in the future. This is often because they are interested in a specific area and know that they want to immerse themselves further into it. I can very much relate to this in that I know that I want to have a career in the legal profession but find a way to connect this with my love for the arts. I have a background in dance and a solid knowledge of the sector. Law is something that I am yet to learn so much more about but I am excited by the thought that I am striving to find a way to connect the two. This is what I am bringing to the forefront of my professional inquiry. 

Imagine it as thinking about something that goes beyond the craft that you already know so much about; so in my case, dance. I want to apply dance to the real world approaching it from an entirely different direction that will give me a fresh insight into the profession and how it relates, however distantly, to the legal system.     


Thesis Statement...

Paula also talked about a thesis statement, in other words, the title of your professional inquiry. Think of it as a summary of your inquiry topic; so what is to be developed, supported and explained throughout the course of your inquiry. 

I decided to create a sort of mind map so that I can visually project all of the aspects that are feeding into my professional inquiry. Below is a photograph of my take on how I can craft my thesis statement (it is a work-in-progress).




It has certainly helped in organising my thoughts and pulling out key words which I can string together to form my inquiry question. I had to keep reminding myself of the question "what am I trying to find out?", in order remain on track and find leads to answering questions. I am feeling positive after today's session however I have so much to cover. Tackling the densely packed Reader 5 on Ethics is my next challenge!

Lil' Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment