Search Lil' Blogger

Wednesday 16 November 2016

Interview #3

I have just completed my 3rd interview via audio call. I have again successfully made a voice recording on my phone which I will be transcribing the second I have finished this blog!

My interview this time was with a professional dancer who was in fact a friend I made during my time training. It was fantastic to hear about what they had been up to and how they feel about their current practice. An example of some of the questions I posed are as follows:

  • Do you feel that in your current place of employment there is a good support system for the dancers?
  • What are the conditions like in which you rehearse?
  • Do you think having an expert legal professional who you can access would be useful?
  • Do you think dancers may be reluctant to pursue a legal dispute due to the risk of gaining a bad reputation? 
It was fantastic to get another perspective from a practitioner who understands and is working within the dance industry. It is interesting how so many of the comments made relate to those from my previous interview (Interview #2) also with a professional dancer.

What is becoming clear is that dancers are often not treated as they should be by employers. Equity remarkably sets the standards for how performers in the industry should be treated yet this is not necessarily upheld by all. I feel that I am starting to unearth some of these issues and think of ways in which they can be greater understood and better advocated for in the future.

Overall it was another very positive experience and I look forward to pulling all of the data together to form my Critical Review. The pieces are starting to fall into place and I now feel ready to start drafting my Critical Review and finalising my literature review.

Image result for making sense


No comments:

Post a Comment